AN UNHELPFUL BUDDY
In reply to my query about the lack of a definitive Buddy Holly box set, Graham Nutt (RC 340) refers me back to the 1979 vinyl box set, The Complete Buddy Holly. I have this already and although excellent, this is now nearly 30 years old and is far from complete.
Since it was released we’ve had access to numerous outtakes, alternative versions and TV footage, etc. For example, we have had the 1983 vinyl album For the First Time Anywhere and the CD Something Special From Buddy Holly, which includes such interesting tracks as the undubbed Not Fade Away. To reiterate my original point: when are all these various pieces going to be brought together in a truly definitive manner?
by Phil Rhoden
<< Back to Issue 341
You might also like:
- LETTER: Buddy Hard To Find
- LETTER: Buddy Holly Box Set
- BOOK REVIEW: Everyday: Getting Closer To Buddy Holly by Spencer Leigh
- BOOK REVIEW: Not Fade Away: The Life & Music Of Buddy Holly by John Gribbin
- ALBUM REVIEW: Not Fade Away: The Complete Studio Recordings & More by Buddy Holly
- ALBUM REVIEW: Off The Record by Buddy Holly & The Crickets
- ARTICLE: THE BOBBY YEARS 1959 – 1962
- LETTER: Why No Buddy Box?