Journey Man – Neal Schon
How are things going?
We just got in, so I’m talking in my sleep! We’re having fun playing the new album at our shows ’cos we did so many greatest hits shows that that became boring to me and you couldn’t really stretch out and do something different. Now we are, ’cos we do a three-hour show without support and we play all kinds of stuff.
The new album features lead vocals from all five of you.
We started doing that in our set a couple of years ago – everybody just started singing something live and audiences seemed to love it. It turned into more of a band and we thought it’d be a good idea. We’ve had a lot of criticism but you can’t please everyone. I did my part of the album in three days, in and out, ’cos I had to go rehearse with Soul SirkUS to go to Europe, which was a lot of fun.
Were there any out-takes from Generations?
No. We didn’t go in with a bunch of stuff that we didn’t know whether we were going to use or not. We just did exactly what we needed – 14 tracks, which are on the Japanese version, though the European has 13 and the US 12. We’ve tried a lot of different stuff this year and it’s going well. Last year, I saw that Prince was …
by Tim Jones
<< Back to Issue 315
You might also like:
- BOOK REVIEW: Don’t Stop Believin’: The Untold Story Of Journey by Neil Daniels
- ALBUM REVIEW: Greatest Hits Volume 2 by Journey
- LIVE REVIEW: London Hammersmith - 15th March, 2007
- LIVE REVIEW: London Hammersmith Apollo - 17th June, 2008
- LIVE REVIEW: London Wembley Arena - 29th May, 2013
- ALBUM REVIEW: Look Into The Future/ Next by Journey
- LIVE REVIEW: London Wembley Arena - 4th June, 2011