At the cutting edge with bolan
‘Acetates’ of Marc’s early work are among the most sought-after items in the world of record collecting. George Rab tells the story of these rare hand-cut demo discs
Record collecting encompasses various formats but one that is hardly ever mentioned is the acetate record, so called because it consists of a thin lacquer or acetate coating on an aluminium disc. Some readers may not be sure what exactly an acetate is, what part it plays in the process of record production or why they are now viewed by some as the pinnacle of record collecting.
To mark the 30th anniversary of Marc Bolan’s untimely demise, just a few days before he would have himself turned 30, let me cast some light on this fascinating topic by conducting a tour around his enduring legacy of hand-cut records. In the 1983 book Making Music, edited by no less a musical genius than Sir George Martin, we have this succinct definition: “a reference or demo disc usually cut for technical evaluation purposes”.
It further explains that a “cut” is the process of “making a master disc from which finished records can be pressed; so called because the master tape sounds are transferred to a lacquered disc by a cutting machine which uses a needle to draw the sound patterns into the acetate”.
There you have it. The acetate is the intermediate stage between the (rough) mixed recording on tape and the vinyl records shipped to retailers. The first incarnation of a finished record but one which can …
by George Rab
<< Back to Issue 341
You might also like:
- BOOK REVIEW: Cosmic Dancer: The Life And Music Of Marc Bolan by Paul Roland
- LIVE REVIEW: London Shepherd’s Bush Empire - 15th September, 2012
- ALBUM REVIEW: Marc Bolan At The BBC by Marc Bolan
- ARTICLE: 20th Century Boy 21st century icon
- BOOK REVIEW: A Guide To The Outtakes Of Marc Bolan (1964-1977) by Irving Campbell
- LETTER: Bolan Acetates
- ALBUM REVIEW: Bolan At The Beeb by T.Rex
- LETTER: Bolan Limited Editions
- LETTER: Bolanology
- BOOK REVIEW: Born To Boogie: The Songwriting Of Marc Bolan by Carl Ewens
- ARTICLE: Bowie, Bolan and me
- ALBUM REVIEW: Hard On Love by Marc Bolan
- ALBUM REVIEW: Interstellar Soul by Marc Bolan & T.Rex
- BOOK REVIEW: Marc Bolan: Born To Boogie by Chris Welch & Simon Napier-Bell
- LETTER: Marc Memorial
- LETTER: Maximum Bolan!
- ARTICLE: Memories of Mark
- DVD REVIEW: The Celebration Concert by Marc Bolan
- DVD REVIEW: The Final Word by Marc Bolan
- BOOK REVIEW: The Wizard’s Gown Rewoven: Beneath The Glitter Of Marc Bolan by Tony Stringfellow
- ALBUM REVIEW: Twopenny Prince by Marc Bolan
- ALBUM REVIEW: Unchained by Marc Bolan & T.Rex